Wednesday

The "Spoils" from the Farmer's Market

If you're like most of us, you're  trying to eat more healthfully. With that in mind, you head to your neighborhood farmer's market on the weekend and fill up on all kinds of colorful veggies. That's only step one. Now you have to actually cook it and eat it all!

I was perusing the contents of my fridge last week and was embarrassed to see how many greens I still had to cook. I had beet greens, fava greens, chard and kale and half a bag of salad greens as well. I left the kale for another day but cleaned and prepped the rest for a stir fry.



For this improvised pasta dish use whatever you have on hand. Trust yourself!
I always start by getting my prep work done before I turn on the stove. With quick cooking meals it is even more important to have all of your ingredients ready. It really allows you freedom to play and experiment.

Start by putting on a pot of water for the pasta. I used whole wheat linguini and cooked it al dente as I worked on the rest of the dish. 

I sauteed some shallots for a few minutes and then added minced garlic. Once these veggies were done to my liking, I removed the mushrooms. Next I added a tin of anchovy* filets. I broke them up and added about 4 tablespoons of tomato paste and smushed it all together. I added sliced jarred peppadews to the mix. 
You could also use any peppers but these are really special. Keep a jar in the fridge for instant piquant flavor. I used them on a crudites plate last weekend and they were very popular.

Next add the greens in a few bunches, wilting them to allow them all to fit. Mix as thoroughly as you can and cook the greens to your desired level of awesome. Add some pasta water to loosen it all up and allow for mixing with the pasta. Season to taste. I used salt, pepper, fresh oregano and red pepper flakes.
Pile up some pasta, top it with your saucy veggies and some shaved parmesan. 
Not only will you be loving your dinner but you'll also feel good about yourself for not wasting all that veggie goodness!

*Let's talk a bit about anchovies. Yes they are itty bitty salty fish but they are so much more! Anchovies or anchovy paste can be your secret weapon for adding a deeply complex layer to your cooking. Just give them a try. Trust me. If you don't like it, you can have my second born son.

Let me know how it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment